New Resident Guide
Standard Trash Service
The Costa Mesa Sanitary District collects residential trash and recyclables from your curbside once per week. To find out when your trash day is, please visit our Collection Day webpage. Your standard service includes the following trash carts:
- Mixed Waste Carts: Up to two (2) 64-gallon Mixed Waste Carts (smaller carts are available upon request)
- Accepted items: plastics, glass, aluminum, tin, paper, cardboard, Styrofoam, and miscellaneous landfill waste
- Organics Recycling Carts: Up to two (2) 64-gallon Organics Recycling Carts (smaller carts are available upon request)
- Accepted items: grass, leaves, weeds, prunings, flowers, small branches, fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, bread, dairy, coffee grounds/filters/tea bags, cooking fats/oils/grease, and compostable bags/products
- Note: Some properties are exempt from the Organics Recycling Program if they lack sufficient space for Organics Recycling Carts and/or have minimal landscaping.
Set Up New Service:
Property owners must contact the District to initiate trash service for newly built properties. To set up a new trash account, please contact the District to determine the prorated fee amount and make a payment over the phone or pay online. If an existing property is sold, the trash service and fees will automatically be transferred to the new owner through the property tax bill.
Two-Cart Recycling System Flyer:
(click to enlarge)
Holiday Collection Schedule
There is no trash collection on the holidays listed below:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independency Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Special Collection Programs
In addition to the weekly curbside collection services, solid waste customers are eligible for the following special collection programs:
- Large Item Collection: up to three (3) Large Item Pickups per calendar year
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection: Up to three (3) Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) pickups per calendar year
- Sharps Disposal: drop box sites and doorstep pickup
- American Flag Retirement: drop box site
- Christmas Tree Recycling: curbside collection
Green Guide For Green Living
The Green Guide is a resource for residents that are looking to reduce waste, increase household recycling, and safely dispose of different types of waste. We encourage you to download the guide by clicking on the links below.
Questions or Requests?
If you have any trash related questions or requests, please use the following resources:
- For service requests, such as reporting a missed pickup or requesting a large item pickup, please submit a request online.
- To find answers to commonly asked questions, please visit our Trash & Recycling FAQs page.
- If you're unable to find an answer to your question, please contact District staff at (949) 645-8400 during our business hours or email us.